Friday, January 30, 2009

Fiery, but Laughing Jesus
11 x 20 inches
acrylic on wood
sealed and ready to hang

I often get requests for paintings of Jesus laughing. It has taken me awhile to produce something that I thought was worthy of Him. There is a glare on this painting, because I forgot to photograph it before putting on the clear gloss.



Here is an interesting quote about Andrew Wyeth, a very famous, successful artist from Chadd's Ford, Pennsylvania:
"Making a fortune allowed Wyeth to play a familiar American role--the free-thinking individualist who at the same time represented the vox populi. As bohemianism itself became institutionalized, Wyeth encapsulated the artistic conservative's paradoxical idea of cultural disobedience through traditional behavior."
~Michael Kimmelmann, art critic


This quote reminds me that not all artists cut off their ear, or are drunks or drug addicts. While those do exist (I know of a few) most of us are just regular people. As a matter of fact, latey, I've been noticing that many of my favorite artists are dedicated Christians that give all the glory to God. That is the direction to which I strive.

No comments: